banner


Our Heritage

In 1869, the M&St L.Railroad was built through Callender. Many Scandinavian immigrants came by rail and settled in Callender and the surrounding area

Vinge Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on August 2, 1871 at the home of Even E. Haatvedt.

When the school was built in 1889, services were moved there. This school later became town hall.

The Vinge church was built in 1890. Norwegian language was used in those days as many church attendees were from Norway and didn't understand English too well.

They started doing the services in English in 1917.

In 1880, the Ladies Aid and the Sunday School were organized.

In 1896, St. Paul's United Norwegian Lutheran Church was built. In 1918, the Vinge and St.Paul's merged. The church was renamed Our Saviour's Lutheran Church. The Roland Township Danish church was located two miles north of Slifer. The Danish and Saron Swedish churches disbanded and many members joined Our Saviours Lutheran Church.

In 1941, the church constitution was translated to English and two year conformation program

The church was destroyed by fire on October 19, 1956. On April 6, 1958(Easter Sunday), Our Saviour's Lutheran Church held its first service in the new building.

In 1964, Trinity-Bergan congregation of Starkweather, North Dakota gave OSLC the church bell.

In 1968, women of the congregation were finally able to vote. The Conrad Pickel Studios designed the stain glass windows

In 1969, the first stained glass window was installed.

In 1973, the Schlicker pipe organ was installed. Pipes came from Germany and Holland. Pipes were made out of lead, tin, pure zinc, and wood.

In 1981, a new parsonage was built.

In 2006, Our Saviour's Lutheran Church joined the Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC).